Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Finding my snarky voice


I am an overly polite person - to the point of absurdity. It's the bible's fault, really. In 1 Corinthians 8 I read about how certain kinds of behavior can lead others to sin, even if we know that behavior to be not particularly sinful in itself. The problem comes in when someone else thinks it's sinful and sees you, The Christian, doing it. You could be harming that person's faith. Now, the bible passage is specifically talking about eating meat sacrificed to idols - I took it to mean being rude.

Yes, Being Rude is my personal Eating Meat Sacrificed to Idols. I'm so afraid of turning people off of faith and religion simply by my poor behavior that I oftentimes overcompensate by being too good. That's probably why no one ever invites me to go out drinking with them. That and I'm usually pregnant.

I think I'm overcoming this fear of Being Rude, though. I simply don't have the energy for it anymore. Today at the supermarket a man couldn't get past my son in the aisle. With a great flagrant flair the man flew up his arms, sighed heavily, and maneuvered past my boy. Instantly angry I said to the man, "Awww....did we just ruin your whole day?" in my best fake sympathy voice.

And I didn't even recognize myself.

I was so rude. So deliciously rude. I hope this isn't the beginning of a new bad habit. Next thing you know, I'll be dropping my "please"s and "thank you"s. My world will come crashing down as I cut people off in traffic and start yelling at telemarketers.

Or, maybe I'll just pray for patience, pray for that man, and pray that the children didn't hear their momma Eating Meat Sacrificed to Idols.

4 comments:

  1. I think you're allowed a certain amount of snarkiness. Especially when you are pregnant and watching 4 kids. I think I may have used mine all up during my last pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there myself in being so careful to do right..sometimes that carnal nature takes over..and it even feels a tad good. Thanks for being so transparent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. :)

      Delete